Baiada Poultry processing facility
|Client:||Baiada Poultry Pty Limited|
|Location:||Sydney, New South Wales, Australia|
|Scope overview:||Double the size of the existing facility to accelerate growth and improve efficiency|
|Facility:||Poultry Processing Facility|
Wiley delivers a world class upgrade for Baiada Poultry’s Pendle Hill facility
Baiada Poultry Pty Ltd is one of Australia’s leading producers and suppliers of premium quality poultry products.
Baiada Poultry engaged Wiley to upgrade and expand its processing facility at Pendle Hill in Sydney in a series of projects over several years.
The projects, part of the company’s strategy to accelerate growth and improve efficiency, were to double the size of the existing facility to 6,000m2 and eliminate the need for the company to lease facilities.
The projects involved:
- Installation of new chillers, a new 900-pallet capacity freezer, two 32-pallet capacity blast freezers, a six-station truck loading dock, a dock office, a sales office, a truck marshalling and wash area, amenities, a 1,400m2 car park, and head office
- Extensions to the primary processing area and construction of a major ice plant and raker bin, a new dry store, and new staff amenities on a suspended concrete mezzanine floor with a state-of-the-art bird chiller with the capacity to run 10,000 birds per hour
- Construction of a new modern retail outlet for local retail sales and extensions to the process cutup area below the mezzanine floor
- Construction of a 100-metre long overhead controlled entry link from the new amenities to the car park to enable clean access to the workplace for process workers.
- Maintaining production during construction and commissioning
- Achieving the optimal process layout
- Meeting the local council’s stormwater detention requirements for the car park in a cost-effective way.
- Design strategies for the expansion on a confined site including:
- Mezzanine process areas
- Suspended air chill
- Below grown car parking
- Design of an innovative method of detaining stormwater in the hard pavement car park area, which met Council requirements and generated cost savings
- Review and upgrade of fire systems to meet New South Wales fire regulation.
- Coordination and liaison with equipment suppliers to facilitate equipment procurement, scheduling, installation and commissioning
- Coordination with European equipment supplier and translation of drawings to Australian standards and conditions.
- Responsibility for contracting, directing and supervising all construction trades.
Wiley delivered an international standard facility that supports the company’s continued growth in the Australian marketplace.
State of the art design and construction techniques also met the client’s objective to improve efficiency in its provision of premium quality poultry products and excellent customer service.